Interim assessment of the BMVI funding programme for private charging stations
One year ago on 24 November 2020, the application phase began for the funding programme: “Charging stations for electric cars – residential buildings”. Right from the start demand was huge– the initially planned funding amount of 200 million was increased several times over to eventually reach a total of 800 million euros. The last funding applications were approved on 26 October 2021. Now the National Centre for Charging Infrastructure has the evaluated the data from the Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (KfW), which managed the funding programme, for an interim assessment.
Johannes Pallasch, spokesperson of the management team of the National Centre for Charging Infrastructure: “This funding programme focusses on one of the most important charging scenarios: charging at home. Part of our analysis shows that almost one in three new charging points is built in apartment buildings, terraced and semi-detached houses. It has been a goal of ours to bring charging points there too.”
The interim assessment on the funding programme in figures:
- Charging infrastructure benefitted from the funding programme everywhere in Germany. Applications were approved in 99.6 per cent of the more than 8,000 postcodes in the country.
- Around 200,000 of the approximately 900,000 private charging points that were subsidized are already in operation, which is more than 22 per cent.
- Around 30 per cent of the already installed new private charging points are at apartment buildings (approx. 15 per cent), terraced houses and semi-detached houses (approx. 15 per cent), totalling more than 60,000 charging points. Around 70 per cent of new charging points were installed in single family homes.
- For around 66 per cent of subsidised private charging points, no upgrade of the household electricity connection was necessary in order to connect the charging station.
- Almost 40 per cent of the funded charging points feed electricity from their own photovoltaic system into the charging station; almost one fifth of the charging points use their own battery storage for the power supply.
Information on other funding programmes for charging infrastructure can be found under www.nationale-leitstelle.de/foerdern.