Aim of the project is the development and testing of a modular fuel cell energy supply system featuring an integrated hydrogen production facility. The hydrogen is to be produced via electrolysis using energy from a discontinuous source (e.g. photovoltaic or irregular electricity network) and to be reconverted to electrical energy on demand. This will facilitate a secure and continuous supply of energy for decentralised/off-grid users without fuel logistics. Areas of deployment will include mobile telecommunications and other applications in information and communication technology (ICT).
The following subjects will be dealt with as part of the project:
• Evaluation of various hydrogen storage technologies
• Development of an electrolysis module in accordance with the selected storage technology
• Mechanical and thermal integration of all components
• Electrical integration and power management
• Operational management of the plant
• Demonstration set-ups and field tests